Intranets are now at a jumping off point to become digital workplaces. In 2015 organisations are no longer just talking about ‘digital’. They are now starting to take steps, sometimes slow and tentatively, towards transforming their online content and apps into something that is better coordinated. People are also becoming better connected with their digital workplace or intranet whenever they need to be.
While this is great news for intranet practitioners, there is also pressure to make sure you take the right direction and invest in the right technologies, skills, and resources. This is a ‘once in an intranet career’ opportunity to turn all your long-held dreams into the digital reality you have wished for. It can also place a great amount of responsibility on you to get it right.
So, what do you need to do? How can you turn this into your proudest moment in your career rather an underwhelming disappointment?
To successfully transform your intranet into a wider digital workplace where people can collaborate, have mobile access and apps on demand you need to consider what steps to take. These should include:
- Vision: What does the future look like? What will your organisation become in the future? How will your intranet/digital workplace support it? You need to be able to clearly answer these questions from your senior leaders.
- Direction: What is the right direction from your intranet? How will you get from today’s intranet to the future digital workplace? You need to be aware what your organisation’s strategic priorities are. You need to see how your digital workplace can align with and support their achievement.
- Requirements: What are your organisation’s requirements? Have you an existing strategy for your intranet? You need to identify what exactly your senior leaders – stakeholders – need from you. You also need to seek support from senior leaders for your plans.
- Plan: How are you going to complete your journey from intranet to digital workplace? You need to be able to work out the resources needed, prioritise your activities, and timescales to achieve everything.
- Measure: What is the current position? How does the transformation compare when it is completed? You need to demonstrate the changes you have made. You should measure the full value gained – not just the narrow ROI formula – to show how your organisation benefits from a digital workplace.
For me, these are essential steps to take when transforming your intranet into a digital workplace. This could be the most important thing you do in your intranet career.
Make sure you research to learn from other transformations, both good and not so good outcomes. Seek advice from people who have experience or you trust. If in doubt, seek expertise to help you get it right.
You probably won’t get a second chance if it goes wrong so make sure you prepare thoroughly so you will succeed.