From 1996 I have managed intranets, creating strategies that support the business, and worked closely with IT partners and senior managers to develop governance frameworks and hierarchies, publishing standards, and intranet roles. I have trained people to publish, understand why standards need to be followed, and led teams managing and implementing major technology and change projects.
I successfully pioneered how to create an intranet strategy, align it with other strategies, supported by a governance framework of publishing standards, roles and responsibilities. I combined this approach with automated compliance checks on standards, performance measures to show satisfaction and increased usage by people, highlighting the value and wider benefits to BT of an intranet.
Since I left BT in 2011 after transforming its intranet into a digital workplace I have used my experience with over 30 organisations by:
- Transforming intranets into digital workplaces
- Developing digital workplace strategies
- Helping with SharePoint
- Improving publishing governance, guidance and training
- Measuring the full value of an intranet
- Creating great mobile intranet user experiences
- Managing relationships with senior managers and IT partners
- Building successful business cases
- Advising on how to implement new technologies
In 2002 I became the BT Intranet manager responsible for meeting the needs of over 180,000 global employees and third parties. Working with senior representatives and IT partners I transformed BT’s intranet into a digital workplace so people can work anywhere, anytime, with any device. BT’s intranet was recognised by the Digital Workplace Group (was Intranet Benchmarking Forum) as one of the best globally for governance, strategy, communications, engagement, collaboration, usability and measuring value.
My BT intranet achievements include:
- Transforming the intranet into a digital workplace that employees could use anywhere, any time with any device
- Developing and aligning intranet strategy with BT strategy to show how it supported the business goals
- Creating a stakeholder board of senior business representatives to agree and implement the intranet strategy
- Implementing SharePoint 2010 governance, standards and features
- Using collaborative tools to improve communication and speed up activities
- Building a governance model with roles and responsibilities aligned to job descriptions and performance targets
- Researching employees’ needs with online surveys, interviews and beta testing
- Developing standards that meet business, legal, regulatory and user needs, embedded into templates and enforced by compliance tools
- Access to everyone, including people with mobile devices, to BT’s intranet.
- Leading teams implementing content and document management systems
I live in Brighton on the south coast of England.