The future for BT’s intranet?January 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Posted in application, blog, governance, intranet, news, publishing, research, rss, social media, standards, value, wiki | 7 Comments
Tags: applications, blog, bt intranet, BT today, content, governance, intranet applications, oracle, publishing, research, social media, standards, usability standards, wiki
At the end of 2009 I posted about BT’s intranet being 15 years old and the progress made in that time.
BT’s intranet has constantly evolved to meet the changing needs of the business and how it best helps people to be able to do their work as effectively as possible.
BT’s intranet has always aimed to be simple and easy to use. People use it to complete an activity such as a room booking, check the latest news and more recently, publish and use opinions and views with people that have the same interests across BT.
So what’s my view on its future for 2010? It’s likely to see BT’s intranet:
- become even easier to use, wherever you are – at home, coffee shop or BT building – whenever you want to and with any device – your PC, BT’s computing kit or mobile – and the real difference will be the experience will be the same.
- ease of use will also mean you won’t need to keep authenticating to use applications and content protected behind passwords. Just login once and then loading up your browser will give you faster access to what you need.
- people will find it as easy to publish content they want to share or own as sending an email and be able to search for all the different types of information on BT’s intranet from one search page that gives you what you need.
Maybe these are not earth shattering aims? But I know if I can help achieve any of these people in BT will benefit more from using our intranet.
And that’s what my role as BT Intranet manager is.
7 Comments »
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
How can I help you?
- thnx @paulmillersays for inviting me to comment on the #digitalworkplace on #dw24. Good luck to wide awake club members too! 5 days ago
- I wonder how ENTER will manage their comments in 2 to 3 years time? So much content...out of date.......conflicting content. #dw24 5 days ago
- RT @Hadrig: Had to leave the #DW24 to go and talk to a business about internal collaboration and innovation. Well-armed with a few more ex… 5 days ago
Tagsaccessibility applications benchmark benefit best practice beta testing blog bt bt intranet BT today career path collaboration communication content digital workplace directory engagement governance help homepage intranet intranet applications killer content Mark Morrell measure money navigation oracle people finder plan publishing research rss search sharepoint 2010 social media standards strategy training usability usability standards users user testing value wiki